Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

I agree, failed to support

The "SACD Project" fellow-I forget his name-once told he was running around trying to convince the pro and recorded and etc divisions of Sony to support SACD. NO push from the corporate top; ZERO company-wide mandate to "must support" and really muscle the format out to the public.

Of course, that would have required a lot of investment and risk:
- Chiefly, make EVERY new Sony release SACD, which practically would have necessitated hybrid, which would have been racing the replication cost curve and quantity production bottleneck, necessitating more production factory investment.
- SACD car players, including digital out solutions (i.e. MOST bus for BMW/Benz/Audi)
- Every DVD model support SACD. If you really want to be ubiquitous, ya gotta really do it.
and on and on as I've posted elsewhere.

They might have gained the world. Or lost their shirts. We'll never know.

Personally, I don't care much any more. I love surround when it's done well but one of my conclusions from the DVDA/SACD debacle was that maybe there just isn't enough creativity out there for massive numbers of compelling surround releases. There were a few cool titles, and other stuff that was like "Yaaaaawn"

That said, let me reverse myself and say I still hope for music on Blu-ray.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I agree, failed to support - Head_Unit 20:12:47 03/12/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.