Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

It's remarkably similar to the Sony SCD-1.....?

It is a surprise to me - maybe it is because I'm still using the Sony factory supplied Hirakawa powercord (European supplied 3-conductor version).

I had 4 pcs of the kimber PK power cords which I sold off in favor of this very humble looking stock powercord, simply because the sonic differences between different disc pressings of many same recordings were very much more audible via the Hirakawa than the kimber PK-14 powercord. So the kimber shall stay in the carton.

The first hour of this player in my system was spent alternating between listening and plugging out and plugging in the Hirakawa powercord. You see, this very thinny gauge powercord is very susceptible to resonance, like when any part of the cable is under tension, so I am trying various way to lay the cable down, in the most relaxed manner, as much as possible. And I am using the Jerome procedure to cue up the test track to play, and I am basing the final cable resting position/formation on how audible is the Jerome syndrome - meaning the resting position/formation of the powercord cable that gives me the most audible Jerome syndrome effect is the one I chose.

And in the process, I am coming to the conclusion that the Emmy sounds remarkably like my unmodded SCD-1, in general tonality and in the way it reacts to powercord placements, and to different methods of track cueing. the sound is slightly dark, i can perceive some truncation of top octave extension (analog tape hiss is less audible), and there is a little of that stringency that's associated with new equipment taken straight out of the box. I hope that will dissipate soon, and I would expect details resolution and soundstaging to improve as time goes on.....

Edits: 02/23/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.