Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: I'll agree DSP room EQ is a much more practical approach for most people....

Gerald, we are indeed in awe of your considerable background in audio. But, that only makes you able to determine what sounds right and wrong to you and you only. It's the same for me or anyone else.

I have nosed around a bit on Keywood's site. Thanks for the help in finding his publication. He strikes me as a bloke whose main interest is vinyl, tubes (valves to you, of course) and antique sound. He does not impress me as a reviewer who is in any way state-of-the-art when it comes to newer technologies like Mch or EQ. He has reviewed 4 AVRs and one controller, mostly budget variety, plus a few MCH players over a number of years. In those reviews, he makes little distinction between the version of Audyssey involved with the component, sometimes even misidentifying them. There are, of course, substantial differences, but he kind of lumps them all together. They all seem to have the same problems, and he has little time for it.

It is now clear that you have very little first hand experience with Audyssey and that you have been merely parroting Keywood's complaints.

We do not see any measurements to back up his numerous claims about Audyssey's failure to perform as advertised. The odd thing is you can go through the over 50,000 posts at the Official Audyssey Thread at avsforum, and, I dare say, not find any other complaints resembling Keywood's specific accusations among hordes of actual users world-wide. You will also not find similar evidence in any other published reviews or measurements anywhere. People do have problems getting the calibration done correctly, to be sure, but they are usually resolved at the Official Forum by the experienced users there.

So, overstating it slightly, it is he and you against the world. I am not, of course, saying that everybody likes what Audyssey or similar EQ does. They are perfectly entitled to not like it and prefer some other notion in their minds about what sounds "good" to them for whatever reason, whether well-founded or not. There are always dissenters about anything, as you well know, Mr. Negativity. Many audiophiles, after all, think that vinyl, tubes, horns are the ne plus ultra, and God bless their right to do so, as long as they do not arrogantly complain about something they have never heard under proper conditions.

I especially like Keywood's and your echoed complaint about Audyssey's inability to get the levels in the surround channels right, requiring that they be set "by ear". Good luck with that, as it totally contradicts every manufacturer's instructions and every guide book on Mch setup to use some sort of meter, mike or auto calibration with test tones. But, if that's what you and he like, then go for it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.