Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Computer Based Audio (CA)

I do hope CA succeeds in making all (most) music available in a high resolution format; consensus the format is matured with wide agreement on the best implementation method; good backup and recovery procedures built in; album art and literature equivalent or exceeding LP's; and significant computer knowledge to implement correctly is not a requirement.

While it's true SACD selection is primarily oriented towards classical music, I'm not so sure it's a "dying" format. Even though the audio media is furiously promoting CA as the new frontier, so far CA itself has a rather "thin" RBCD or higher resolution catalog. I don't believe it's currently even equivalent to SACD except for pop/rock music.

My passion for music is the main purpose for having a high quality stereo system. But I want the playback to be as close to an intimate live acoustic performance as possible, and I believe I've largely achieved that except for the scale of large classical orchestral music. Currently I and other audiophiles are not convinced this level of playback has been achieved when comparing CA to physical media.

I do agree CA has a storage and portability advantage over physical media that is appealing, together with a "potential" to make much more high resolution music available. But currently that comes at a cost of royalty issues (this may well be the "elephant in the room"), limited availability, questionable sonic superiority compared to the best implemented CD/SACD, complexity, and a loss of most album art and literature.

It took almost 20 years for RBCD to sonically mature, and many audiophiles simply stayed with LP's - some still consider this 60 year old technology the best music format. If it wasn't for the "hobby" nature of LP's I may have done the same, but I'd rather listen to music than play with equipment.

I do truly hope CA becomes the de facto medium allowing audiophiles access to the equivalent of master files for most music produced. But until that and my other pre-conditions occur, I'll continue enjoying my physical media.

I do understand the allure of CA and applaud those "pioneers" of this new experience. I just hope it doesn't take CA as long as CD's to mature, or stay a primarily low resolution format.

Len

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.