Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: I'll agree DSP room EQ is a much more practical approach for most people....

You may indeed be very fortunate in your room, Gerald, which may indeed violate the laws of physics. But, have you ever measured it? Ignorance is bliss, perhaps.

I have been witness to quite a few high end rooms, myself. I have yet to find one that did not suffer at least from quite serious modal problems in the bass, if not also lesser problems higher in frequency. Swings of plus/minus 7 to 12 dB are what I have observed in my sample. Tomlinson Holman has published an AES paper summarizing the measured results from thousands of rooms, which are consistent with that.

Properly done EQ has always provided an obvious and substantial improvement, not just to my ears but to all who have heard it. Any text on room acoustics will make it clear why any typical listening room will have response non-linearities due to bass modes. Only passive treatments and/or EQ can begin to clear that up. Actually, many acousticians increasingly recommend using both. Those issues will be there with even the best of speakers and related gear, if untreated. Published speaker responses under anechoic conditions are a far cry from typical in-room response, but perhaps your room is somehow magically free of the problems that plague virtually all others.

Edits: 02/19/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.