Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Impressions: sony xa5400 vs Ayre cx-5e mp vs Mcintosh mcd-1100

Unfortunately there is no Esoteric dealer in my area because I was contemplating ordering the SA50 (digital input bonus) or the X-05 based simply on reviews, which I have never done before. I always like to hear something on my system before I buy and of course, it is important to support your local shops.
Esoteric is definitely famous for their transports but maybe somewhat infamous for their clinical sound. It seems that most people I have talked to who have experience with Esoteric seem to agree that the sound tends to be a little unnatural and fatiguing. The reviews of the X-05 have stated the opposite and that it is in fact very analog sounding, go figure... The thing that scares me about Esoteric is the large number of them that are always available on Audiogon; maybe a sign of user satisfaction or lack there of? Just thoughts, not a indictment on Esoteric, really just trying to give you a bit of what my thought process was in search for a new source.
If I were you I would visit every shop in your area and listen to everything you can, even if it is out of your price comfort zone, its good to hear something great and have an idea of what is possible in your system.
Years ago I heard an Audio Note Dac 4.1x sig with the Audio Note Transport 2 mk II in a system very similar to mine. It let me know how good digital could be and the sound of that system stuck with me. The sticker on that dac/transport is well above 20k and I believe now with the Mcintosh, I can better that sound for less than half that price. just have to sell some stuff now...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.