Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: I'll agree DSP room EQ is a much more practical approach for most people....

Just a few more comments on a different aspect of your post.

Room EQ is not a matter of belief. It is not necessary to take a leap of faith. It is just a matter of listening as it is switched on and off (easy to do) and deciding whether it improves the sound or not in your opinion.

This is something countless critical and casual listeners, both, have done in my room and in those of my friends, who also use it devotedly. So far, absolutely every single person I know of who has heard the difference first hand under these conditions has agreed that it provided a big, really big, sonic improvement, whether it was Audyssey or ARC being used, whether it was my room or one of my circle of friends. When room modes that affect the bass - I have measured them up to +/- 12 dB in a friend's living room - are removed and are replaced by ruler flat bass free of artifacts, boominess, etc., it's hard to conclude otherwise. Those who may think, "this could not apply to my system - I spent so much on it", should ask themselves whether they have ever measured their in-room response.

I realize there are complainers out there, but most of these seem to result from incorrect calibrations, where something seemingly minor was overlooked, with audible consequences. So, the caveat is that the EQ should have been calibrated by someone who understands the technique thoroughly, though it is not rocket science. The rest of the complaints or resistance to it comes mainly from people who have never heard it, but for whatever reason, have a mental block against it, aka, blind prejudice. That happens often, of course, with new, non-traditional and unfamiliar technologies, no matter how good they are.

Edits: 02/17/12 02/17/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.