Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Exact opposite impression.

I own the the Sony 5400 and the Ayre C5xeMP. With both playing stereo through balanced outputs to ARC electronics and Vandersteen 5 speakers, I hear a major difference. I only listen to classical music. The Sony is a good player, probably worth the $800 I paid for it new. (Incidentally, it sounds the same after 400 hours as it did right out of the box, when I use a reference to comapre it to.) The Ayre is vastly better. The main difference is the texture and richness of the the sound of the instruments. With the Sony everything sounds smoothed over, while the sound of bow on strings and even the richness of flute is striking on the Ayre, both on RBCD and SACD. Also, the bass has no detail on the Sony- it just booms. I concluded the Sony is a good player, while the Ayre is a great one. I really wanted to like the Sony as much or almost as much, because I could have saved a lot of money. I'm going to sell the Sony, since I don't like listening to it even in MCH. The Ayre has a deeper and wider soundstage in stereo than the Sony in MCH. There's nothing wrong with it, it just sounds like one of the better pieces of Sony equipment I have heard with what that entails. Sins of omission rather than comission. Oh well, I had hopes.

One measure of the size of the difference was recently demonstrated by my son. He walked in when I was listening to an SACD and said "I hear you are using that Sony again. Why?" He could not see which was playing, but it only took a few seconds of listening to know which was playing. On previous systems I have owned the difference might not have been so obvious, but after my latest upgrade, I can hear subtleties I could never hear before.

Each to his or her own. Different people have different tastes.

Joe

Edits: 02/17/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.