Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Thanks!

I wouldn't say that the Ayre is sterile, maybe a little lean in the mids and clean in the highs but very clear in the bass; the overall color being neutral. My problem with it was its presentation; flat in dimensionality; images didn't come through with a believable presence, everything was on a flat plane so to speak with a sort of sheen that while pleasant kept any sound from emerging from the background and into my listening room. The excitement factor just isn't there...

The Mac is also pretty neutral in color, the difference being that the mids are so present, so dimensional and palpable along with the the level of resolution being on a whole different planet than the Ayre. I could hear details that were not even hinted at with the Ayre; its that much better! The only negative is that the bass had so much more energy that I have since moved my speakers further from the back wall to compensate.

There is a lot of edge to the sound when it is on the disc; string articulations pop out at you more with this player than I have ever heard. Part of what makes the sound so exciting with the Mac is this aspect; so much energy in articulations but with enough body in the tone to make it sound realistic!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Thanks! - classicalmusiclover 11:27:17 02/17/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.