Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Multichannel SACD upgrade path....

There are two very strong schools of thought regarding best practices in implementing
hi rez Mch. The first is to do it the traditional way via analog interconnection from the player to a suitable analog controller.

In the pure analog-interconnected DSD case, tailspn's system near Boston, was quite exceptional, using an EMM player, custom passive Mch "controller", high quality Parasound JC-1 amps and five full range Sound Labs electostats in a treated room. A second example of that paradigm was a recording reviewers's system using an Audio Research controller with an Esoteric player with Wilson speakers and Pass Labs amps in an untreated room. The first was a huge success, the latter a disappointment.

I have also heard numerous examples of the alternative paradigm, using HDMI into a digital controller. Most of my audio friends and I use this coupled with DSP room EQ into some qite costly systems. The aforementioned recording reviewer abandoned that first paradigm in favor of this one on hearing examples of both in his room with his system.

So, I think there are good and inferior examples of both approaches. But, the real key is in several issues. The first paradigm requires identical, equidistant speakers and cannot accommodate a subwoofer via bass management for all channels. The second paradigm can apply speaker distance correction, bass management to a sub and room EQ to to compensate for room acoustics issues, huge advantages.

Both approaches can be successfull, but neither is a panacea. I think the first paradigm requires major aspects of cost and care in dealing with super pure equipment selection and passive room treatments. The second paradigm is somewhat freer of these restraints and allows for more flexibility in setup. Which is best? Only you can decide that in your situation to your ears.

I and several others I know well have all opted for the second paradigm. We are all frequent classical concert goers and have been high end audiophiles for decades with systems in an approximately MSRP range of $40 - $100k. We all feel that we have achieved by far the closest approach to live concert sound in our lifetime via hi Rez Mch with DSP room EQ. To us, it is not close. We are unanimous in feeling that EQ plus Mch has been the biggest audio breakthrough of our lifetime, bigger than stereo was over mono, in fact, and we are all old and experienced enough to have gone through that transition.

Edits: 02/16/12 02/16/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.