Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

The reviews I've read indicate that the ESS Sabre32 Ref. DACs in the '95 are as good as money can buy...

...so using HDMI and the DACS in MOST pre/pros would sound not as good. (Of course, whether anyone can hear those differences is a separate issue.) Oscar, your Meitner preamp has 6-channel analog inputs? RCAs only?

If so, as Kal suggests, do use the 2-channel outputs for 2-channel sources; while the 2 audio-output boards use the same ESS 5-star-quality DACS, the 2-channel outputs parallel 4 of the 8-channel chip's sections per single audio-output channel (per Gary Gallo writing in the January, 2012 issue of 'audioXpress').

I use both the 6-channel analog and the CD outputs of my '83SE into my c-j MET1, an analog-only 6-channel vacuumtubed preamp. The advantage for me is to be able to use the preamp's Ambience Recovery Mode to add a little spaciousness to 2-channel recordings. When the levels of the center and surround channels are kept low, the result sounds VERY nice.

I recommend the Gallo review mentioned above to anyone considering the '95.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.