Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

New Developments in USB DSD DAC's and ADC's

Is anyone using a USB DSD DAC or ADC?
I only know of 3 ways for someone who might want to playback and record DSD files from there PC.
- Mytek Stereo192-DSD-DAC with USB
- "USB-Dual-Audio" PCB from ElectArt
- USBPAL PCB from RigiSystems

The New Mytek Stereo192-DSD-DAC is capable of playback of DSD 64fs 2.82Mhz files over USB, I believe with a ASIO 2.1 driver, possibly being the first device to support this new standard. 1/2 Rack Mount, XLR I/O, SPDIF and USB. Price is $1500USD. This is the first real device available to play DSD files from your home computer for under $10k.

The "USB-Dual Audio" is an assembled PCB from ElectrArt, a small japanese hobbyist company. It consists of a assembled and tested PCB with an FPGA programmed to record and playback PCM and DSD (64fs/2.82mhz or 128fs/5.6mhz) over USB, USB; SPDIF; and DSD bitstream and wordclock i/o connections, and a proprietary driver and software for recording and playback. Price is $384USD Shipped for an assembled and tested "USB-Dual Audio" PCB and unassembled DSD-1794a DAC PCB, recording meter PCB, and PCM4202 ADC PCB. If you dont want to solder pcb's, you can find other options for the ADC and DAC. This board is the second revision, the first called the USB-Audio had support for 4channel recording and playback, the new revision has only 2 in/out. I can't figure out if this was done for sound quality or to lower the price of the board (google translate has a had time with Japanese colloquial).

The USBPAL from RigiSystems, a swiss company, is also just a USB interface PCB, no ADC or DAC onboard. Yet it appears more refined, and is licensed to be added to commercial DAC's, while the "USB-Dual Audio" is geared to the hobbyist. It has a driver to send DSD and PCM over usb. I don't know what software is used for playback. Price is around $300USD for a development kit. Gotta add your own ADC and DAC. Supports 8 channels in and out, DSD or PCM, with DXD support coming. Seems like a great way to make a DIY multitrack digital setup whether or not you want DSD.

Is anyone recording or playing DSD with there home computer, or wants to?
DSD files now are either recorded with a device like the Korg or Tascam recorders, or purchased from a 'Audiophile' recording company selling either DSD-Discs or DSD Downloads. DSD downloads are growing now in japan, I think there is a good reason......

I sense a coming wave of DSD products possibly. Korg is apparently working on a DSD DAW and 8 channel DSD ADC and DAC. The Rigisystems PCB can be licensed and allows any developer to incorporate DSD into there device. The ElectArt board lets the hobbyist develop there own DAC and ADC. There was an article showing a working USB-DAC prototype shown at a convention in japan from the DSD consortium.

Maybe the time of playing (and recording) DSD as easily as PCM with our computers is coming. I know software needs development, and there are certain limitation inherent in the format (simple manipulation can be difficult or mathematically problematic). Still I know some have a real desire for very high quality digital audio. My ultimate goal is to use this to archive my vinyl/master tapes to the highest quality format possible.

I have ordered the USB-Audio board, and am waiting on getting the Buffalo-II DAC for playback. Already have a TI PCM 4202 ADC and have built a few power supplies. I will keep everyone posted on my status. As far as I can tell I can't find anyone else in outside of japan talking about these new developments.
Viva Vinyl!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - New Developments in USB DSD DAC's and ADC's - alexcount 14:18:59 12/16/10 (20)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.