Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

"processed multi track recordings"

With respect to vocalists (that I assume is your focus this thread) I have only limited listening experiences to modern popular recordings. It is my understanding that more often than not vocalists today are recorded separate and apart from the other musicians and other vocalists on the same recording. You may have a dozen or so musicians/vocalists and most may not ever see (or even know) each other. So, and this is just my speculation, while the musicians/vocalists themselves may be recorded with SOTA gear and techniques they are not recorded/captured in proper relation to one another and the relative "space" is not recorded well; perspective is lost or distorted. What you hear is "processed multi track recordings", a *key* phrase I picked up in your post. I opine that the lack of adequate recording of "space" is the bane of the limited few modern pop/rock recordings that I have heard.

Now allow me to argue against myself for a moment. My favorite modern jazz recordings are indeed recorded in "real space" (like during the "Golden Age") and for the most part perspective is preserved. "Processed multi track" techniques are kept to a minimum. But so often the *soloists* (not the space) sound better to me than with modern recordings. So why is that? I think (a word I am purposely using often here) it boils down to euphonies and performance that both favor the older recordings. But the new recordings still better replicate what I actually hear at a live jazz performance.

Robert C. Lang

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.