Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Coloration is one form of distortion....................

Yes, where you sit in a hall makes a difference, sometimes a huge one. But, if you, like me, enjoy the experience of live music in a hall, then there is quite a substantial difference in recreating that experience between a good Mch system with discrete Mch recordings and a 2-channel system. Once you have heard the two and compared them to the live experience, there is no going back to plain stereo. One sounds like you are in a concert hall, the other just doesn't. As much enjoyment as I got from stereo over many decades, I now realize that there is something a whole lot better vs. live that actually begins, imperfectly, to recreate that live experience.

I agree that you have to be very smart about choosing equipment that is going to satisfy you over the long haul. Mindlessly throwing money or tweaks at it is not really going to succeed. I like to get long term satifaction out of my equipment purchases, and I think I know how to do it, at least for me. There are no tweako devices in my system. My current main speakers are 8 years old. My main amps are 15. Yet, they are still quite satisfying to me. I do listen occasionally to other stuff, and I am still very satisfied with what I have.

Like you, all I want to do is listen to the music. Equipment is just a means to that end. But, quality matters a great deal. Perfection is not the goal. Musical satisfaction is.

Edits: 08/24/10 08/24/10 08/24/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Coloration is one form of distortion.................... - Fitzcaraldo215 07:34:56 08/24/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.