Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

This is not a two-channel vs. multi-channel issue....far from it

***" If a recording label were to make a corporate decision to return to the 50s way of recording/engineering I would look elsewhere to purchase my music (probably back to my Lp collection).***

Actually, when I made that statement I was not thinking of multi-channel at all. I was thinking of "recorded music", not two channel vs. SACD multi-channel.

I have found that the technical differences between the two while notable are not as far different as a lot of people think. Actually they are very similar. As I said in this thread they are "kissing cousins". For me personally (others may approach it differently) a well done multi-channel system starts with well done two-channel.....that's the foundation. And what I have learned about the micing requirements of multi-channel is that it is merely an extension of what it is for two-channel. Multi-channel does not turn this philosophy on its head. I have yet to find a multi-channel recording that "saved" its two channel counterpart. It does make an already good two channel recording better...even *much* better, but it can't resuscitate a bad recording, in my experience.

At the risk of an invalid or exaggerated (or both) analogy its kind of like a chimp and homo sapiens sapiens. Supposedly the DNA difference is less than 2%. But wow what a difference that 2% makes!

Robert C. Lang

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • This is not a two-channel vs. multi-channel issue....far from it - Robert C. Lang 00:20:29 08/21/10 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.