Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Flavor of the year

I'm not surprised you got the ANALOG audio impression you did. Before the SE and other modded variants I read all sorts of ridiculous claims in audio forums about the quality of the 83's analog outputs. At best, in stock form, they are acceptable. You really have to wonder what some of the claimants were listening to before the 83.

I even get much better sound via HDMI through my crappy pre-pro with SACD and DVD-A. So IOW for me, the analog output mods people are doing would have to be not just a bit better, but a hell of a lot better than stock. A magnitude better. I'm not saying they aren't, I don't know. But it is designed to be a "cheap" player, and I'm wary of putting too many $$ hop-up mods on such a platform (I do have some minor ones intended that I'll do myself). Drive life is an issue, and for the amount I use the Oppo (~8 hours/day) I only expect 2-3 years...long enough for many people I guess, but likely it'll be junk when the drive goes. A universal player gets a lot of use! compared to a single-purpose. I guess even the SE/modded versions are still pretty cheap compared to what some people are used to paying though.

I have a 980 too. The stock 83 does sound better via analog outs than the 980, quite a lot better to me. Enough to warrant a purchase I'd say (obviously, since I did it and didn't get the 83 for BD). If you have a lot of hi-rez discs you'd probably appreciate the SE or variants. Plus you could partake of BD music discs, quite phenomenal (I appreciate them, even though the music isn't exactly my preferred genres).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Flavor of the year - cfraser 15:21:32 12/24/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.