Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Why should you be wowed over HDMI?

"I have only heard a non-broken-in standard Oppo in my system via HDMI very briefly and was not wowed over the PS3"

All the diff will be in your HDMI pre-pro. Except that the Oppo can do DSD for SACD if your pre-pro can handle it too. Otherwise I don't see much good reason why the HDMI sound should be hugely different from the player end.

Now when it comes to video via HDMI, the Oppo has plenty of advantages over the PS3. Not really any for 1080p/24 BD, but for everything else. And analog audio of course. (I have both units in my rack.) I think both units pretty much suck for CD over HDMI, but a couple of people (only a couple!) say it's my HDMI pre-pro not handling 44.1 stuff well. Not a big deal for me, but be wary of it if you thought the Oppo/PS3 might be a good HDMI CDP (I don't know, just that they sure aren't here).

Also note that the two types of ESS Sabre DACs used in the Oppo SE seem to have a preference for either LPCM or DSD input, depending which ones you're using for what. As reported at least, make your own listening choice.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.