Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

There are still technical music playback issues with the 83 family

The OPPO BDP-83SE smoked my recently rebuilt but similar generation Sony SCD-C555ES in a mostly blind comparison, playing both stereo SACDs and redbook CDs. There was no contest at all on SACD: blacks were blacker, bass tighter and treble smoother. And CDs were marginally more resolving through the OPPO than with the Sony used as a transport through an external Musical Fidelity upsampling DAC.

Considering that NuForce is keeping the new Sabre DACs and tweaking the power supply, it's likely than the NuForce Edition will be better yet.

But, OPPO is still working to fix the 83 family's acknowledged inability to play all tracks of certain SACDs straight through without "clicking" as it begins some subsequent tracks. This problem occurs, for example, on early SACDs like "Chet," "Cafe Blue," and "Waltz for Debby." The workaround is to hit the reverse key and begin the track anew.

And, unlike Sony ES SACD players the OPPO display is not alpha-neumeric, and setup requires a monitor. It's still a Blu-Ray player first; it's not really designed for placement in a monitorless system. Although I've kept it there since Thanksgiving.

Looking forward to your review!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.