Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Brief comparison of 777 TFL and Spectral 4000

I had a brief opportunity yesterday to a/b test my Spectral Audio 4000 Professional against my level-7 SCD-777ES. The Sony sounded richer and smoother. Vocals, for example, sounded deep and chesty where they sounded more like they were coming from the neck up on the Spectral. The Spectral was a tad drier but had more air and precision leading to a much more detailed soundstage. Notes floated in the air longer and you could really appreciate their decay.

I ended up leaving the Spectral in my main system because it is a lot more resolving and takes full advantage of the speed and detail of the Spectral. The Sony matches my second system well with its Harbeth 7’s that aren’t particularly sparkly on the top end. I don’t want to sound like I’m pooh-poohing the Sony. I’m flabbergasted at what the TFL upgrade did to it. The Spectral is a very good machine that costs four or five times more.

Allen would no doubt recommend adding an uber clock to the Spectral. If that added the same harmonic richness the TFL did to the Sony, I’d be in absolute hog heaven. I don’t think I will though, because I have 4 years of warranty left that drilling a hole in the chassis might somehow void.

I’m left wondering if a fully modded 5400 has some of the detail and air that the 777 is missing, making it the baby brother of what an uber clocked Spectral might be?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Brief comparison of 777 TFL and Spectral 4000 - Dan H 09:09:56 09/11/09 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.