Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Esoteric DV-60 vs. SCD-1 with VSEI mods

"My thinking is that above a certain level of performance, auditions outside one's own system are primarily helpful in judging speakers and source."

I can see your thinking, though for me it is impossible to make any meaningful comparison or evaluation in such circumstances as all it is possible to do is compare one system to another.

You say that your SCD-1 "equals or surpasses the DCS stack and Zanden player" you heard, but unless you place your SCD-1 in the same system any comparison is impossible. All you can say is that your system using the SCD-1 sounds better to you, although I admit is only human nature to do what you have done.

Consider that if you were primarily interested in the speakers, you would have come to the conclusion that your speakers were better than the Escalante Fremonts you heard, and if you were primarily interested in the amplification you would have come to the conclusion that your amps were better than the VTL electronics you heard. :0)

Whenever I've been interested in a source component, be it SACD or CD, I've always either taken my source to use in the other player's system, or friends have brought there source over to my place. It's easier with source components obviously as amps and especially speakers aren't quite so manageable.

Even if you'd heard them all in the system though, I wouldn't have even raised an eyebrow at you suggesting that your SCD-1 is better than or equal to the Zanden or DCS stack. I might disagree if I heard the same comparison, but then again I might agree - who knows.
What had me rolling my eyes was when I read that the poster in question was saying the SCD-1 was 'many times' better than 'any' player over 15K when I know this isn't true, and that the poster won't have heard every player over 15K.

Let's restrict ourselves to making comments about our experiences or expectations, rather than passing off expectations as experiences or facts.

Best Regards,
Chris redmond.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.