Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Esoteric DV-60 vs. SCD-1 with VSEI mods

1. Why does an at least 10-year old technology sound better to most here than a new SOTA universal player that Stereophile has just given a Class A rating to?

As already mentioned, Sony designed the SCD-1 to be a flagship for SACD and were prepared to make a loss in the anticipation that the superiority of SACD over CD was clearly and obviously demonstrated; Sony weren't selling the SCD-1, they were using the SCD-1 to sell SACD.

Therefore the SCD-1 was built to a standard rather than a price, and no matter how much we read about the latest chips, the latest upsampling/oversampling technology or vastly improved jitter specs, SACD/CD replay is primarily governed by power supplies, rigid construction, parts quality, isolation and all the things that cannot be done as well on the cheap.

Ironically, perhaps the one mainstream manufacturer who does still maintain high standards in these respects is Esoteric/TEAC, although the DV-60 isn't in the same league as Esoteric's own flagship player which uses the peerless VRDS transport mechanism.

Someone such as Allen Wright, when given a platform like the SCD-1, will no doubt be able to work wonders as his mods will have evolved over the years so any money spent will go in exactly the right area to give most improvement, and I'd suggest that anyone who owns a stock SCD-1 should consider having it modded by a competent engineer before even considering 'upgrading' to a more modern machine.

Best Regards,
Chris redmond.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Esoteric DV-60 vs. SCD-1 with VSEI mods - chris.redmond2@bushinternet.com 10:59:07 03/26/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.