Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: DSD playback and Sony Patents

"So much misinformation on the web."

hm.. yes.. there is

"First off the Korg Recorder can be used with any PC. I use a Toshiba."

But you can't make discs and play them on other SACD players (other than the SCD-XA5400ES, which was my complaint...

"The only reason that there is one company, Tascam that burns to disc, is because most people need to be able to manipulate the files, it's simply easier to work on a PC."

Your point makes no sense, as the Tascam has many outputs, including computer, a built-in hard drive and computer software for the computer to be used with it, so that files can be manipulated between formats, and whatever else the user needs.. I think you should look further at the Tascam, as I believe it does alot more than you realize.
I also believe that Sony does have control over DSD software..

"Since DSD was developed as an professional archiving format there hasn't developed a industry around it like PCM. There is no reason that manufactures could not implement DSD playback on their SACD units. However even if they did, I don't think it would be a major selling point."

To my knowledge, Sony is the only company that uses DSD for archiving their masters, Sony is also the only company that uses it for mastering (or "Sony" licensed companies).
As with SACD, Sony controls every aspect of whether a disc is made, and gets $1 for each sold.
I also find it very indicative of Sony's control over DSD, as that the only devices able to playback DSD recorded files are either made directly by Sony, or the other, Tascam, licensed from Sony.

"The market for DSD recording is even smaller than Hi-Rez PCM. How many are making DVD-A disc's for needle drops?"

I am no "expert", but as far as I know, "Hi-Rez PCM" can be copied/burned to common DVD-R discs.. I have never heard of a "special" disc needed to copy "Hi-Rez PCM"...and I would guess-timate there are quite a few using either computers, Tascam, etc. to do "Hi-Rez PCM" needle drops... as it doesn't take anything more than a computer/DVD burner/software.

"Before you hit Sony, think about who many are really using DSD for recording or better yet how many understand the differences in Hi Rez PCM vs DSD and the capabilities of each."

Don't know what you mean.. I do know that Sony uses DSD, and I know the difference between DSD and Hi-Res PCM...
"Sorry for the rant but every time a subject like this comes up all the experts make statements without fully understanding the products or from what they read."

From your rant it appears that you feel you are an "expert" but, I find that you have not answered much... only raised more questions....

Maybe, we both need to do some research and can come up with some solid answers.

Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.