Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Nobody knows why

Like I said, I could be wrong.

I have the schematics for the unit at work (only in printed format, not electronic). The machine is here at home, but it is too heavy for me to pick up from my wheelchair. Maybe I'll see if I can get someone to help me take it apart and look at it.

Again, I would be very surprised if it spins *any* disc at greater than 1x speed. Normally that is the province of computer-based machines. The first time I heard of that in a stand-alone player was the Denons. They used a computer drive and spun the disc just slightly faster than normal. I believe it was 1.2x or something. The idea was to fill up a video buffer so that the layer change on the double-layer DVD was very quick. Normally the picture will "freeze" for 1 to 2 seconds during the layer change. A buffered design (which includes all of the cheap players such as Oppo and low priced Pioneers) based on the MediaTek MPEG decoder chip also have a very quick layer change and must read the DVD at slightly higher than 1x speed.

But if they do this for CD, it would be the first I've heard of it. The Ayre CX-7e and Resolution Opus 21 use a computer-based CD-ROM drive running at 2x. The data feeds into a buffer. When the buffer is full it stops making requests for data. When the buffer is less than full it requests more data from the drive. But even in this case the data is never *re-read*. There is no reason to, as there are never any errors unless the disc is scratched so badly that it skips.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Nobody knows why - Charles Hansen 21:07:36 01/11/08 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.