Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Teac's VRDS transport - why aren't all modders using this?

I don't think I said they don't make much difference.......they do....as well as everything else. I am sure I said that putting the transport and DAC in a single box will always sound best (if implemented the exact same way as in separates). Sending and receiving digital signals without loss (especially with SPDIF) and distortion is very, very hard. Best to keep the digital path short and use super low jitter clocking inside the unit.

Every little thing you do to a transport will change the sound. A friend had a $2000 mod done to the $13,000 Teac he is using as a transport only. The tray in the Esoteric is silver metal and I had him black the inside edge of the tray.....just the tiny inside edge of the tray nearest the laser mechanism....you know the horseshoe. He said it sounded much better. Then he got some green paper and glued it on the top of the tray for much better sound again. Seems that Esoteric knows nothing about the fact that the laser light needs to be stopped from splaying all over, messing up the sound.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Teac's VRDS transport - why aren't all modders using this? - Ric Schultz 15:27:01 01/09/08 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.