Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: That sounds about right...

<< An OEM price of $600 for high-end use isn't too bad >>

Well that depends on your point of view. The Pioneer manufacturing kit we use is significantly less expensive than that. (Another hidden factor is that the Pioneer includes all licenses and royalties, while the Teac kit provides about half of the licenses and none of the royalties.) The only potential advantage to the Esoteric as used in the DV-60 is the "VOSP" laser. Since I have no information about what it really is, how it works, and how it might affect the sound, I have very little incentive to investigate it. If we were to build a product with that transport, it would have to be *significantly* more expensive than the C-5xe. I would not want to do that unless the performance were also improved significantly, and it's not at all clear that would be case.

Furthermore, I think that the $6000 price of the C-5xe represents an upper limit where the consumer is willing to accept a plastic tray. If we were to make a more expensive model, it would need to have a metal tray (or be a top-loader) to be accepted in the market. This would drive the price up even more. And then if we were to make a player at (say) $10,000+, the customer would probably also expect a fancier chassis, which would drive the price up even more.

I think you get the picture. There are a lot of design decisions that have to be made. I think we did very well balancing all of the factors with the C-5xe. It is a great sounding product that has been well received by both the press and the consumer, plus it has proven to be quite reliable. And finally, Pioneer offers superb support to us with spare parts and service information, which allows us to do the same for our customers. (Which is why I would *never* use a Philips transport.)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.