Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

nope ... it's a unique proprietary transport ...

I've owned a few sony transports, and none look anything like the Linn engine.

A few quotes ...

"The Karik transport (Linns first proprietary transport) represents a "ground-up" engineering effort. Rather than buy off-the-shelf mechanisms with their inherent mass-scale cost compromises, Linn started with a clean sheet of paper and rethought what a transport mechanism should do. The entire mechanism was designed and built by Linn in Scotland. It is unusual in many ways, including the method of clamping the disc from the top"

"and precision-machined transport mechanism with a rigid circuit board that locates all servos, decoding circuitry, control circuitry, software, motors, pulleys, belts and optical sensors together. The slim CD drawer is milled from solid aluminum and is the only visible part of the proprietary CD mechanism."

"transport mechanism, designed by Linn from the ground up, features four motors, a replaceable laser, a diagnostic output for verifying the transport's performance, and a clamping device that secures the disc from the top."

Also, the Linn engine isn't a belt drive in the traditional sense ... it uses 4 quality motors. 1 motor powers the CD directly, while the other 3 motors are individualy responsible for the rest of the transports motions - however not directly - thru belt drive / pulley mechanisms.

I've seen a few transports in my day, and I can safely say that the Linn transport is very unique.

TBone

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • nope ... it's a unique proprietary transport ... - TBone 16:59:23 01/08/08 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.