Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Audio event of the month #4

...or the spring, the year:

Bach lovers, rejoice:

Sony Japan has been putting out its back catalog of Glenn Gould Bach tapes in limited-edition (re)issues, all newly remastered in DSD.

All new covers (miniature reproductions of the original LP sleeves) and all new sonics: the DSD transfers audibly clear up the piano sound, enhance the details, improve dynamics, and open up the acoustic space (the last one not the easiest feat, given Gould's preferred close-up miking).

These will not come in SACD, I'm informed, so this is the chance to hear Gould's Bach digitally like never before. The catalog numbers run from SICC639 to SICC659. Of these, the '81 Goldbergs, the Italian Concerto/Partitas 1 & 2, and the Inventions & Sinfonias were issued in SACD already back in 1999, so no need to rush for those if you already have the SACD.

The attention to the detail goes as far as to accurately replicate the different coatings used in LP covers between the mid-'50s and the early '80s when these originally came out. That's for all the die-hard nostalgics.

Let's just hope there is enough demand to prompt Sony to give us the concertos and sonatas as well.

I'm double posting this from the Music Lane, hopefully not in breach of the AA rules.

TL

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Audio event of the month #4 - tlyyra 04:05:32 04/25/07 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.