Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Will Blu-Ray hurt or help Hi-rez audio long term ?

I've been dipping my toes into the Blu-Ray video concert and it's becoming pretty clear to me the combination of high definition video combined with high resolution multichannel audio could be irresistable to at least a few of us.

The video presentation is why I've bought music concert DVDs despite the lossy compression on the audio tracks. Now I've been sampling music concert Blu-Ray with benefits not only in the picture but also with the audio tracks. E.g. Pat Metheny on "DTS HD" (probably still a lossy format but with 2-10x the sampling rate of DVD DTS tracks) and "The Last Waltz" (uncompressed 5.1 16/48 PCM - okay not hi-rez yet) and have thoroughly enjoyed both.

There are already a number of movie tracks with fantastic sounding uncompressed 5.1 24/48 PCM soundtracks. take this a few steps further and we have full motion high definition video with uncompressed 5.1 24/192 (or SACD ???) soundtracks. At this point, I'm going to find buying music concert videos much harder to resist. (imagine high definition Sara K. with 5.1 24/192 soundtracks (alright.. Sara K. not a good example of eye candy but Chesky is(/was?) an audiophile label). I might even be able stomach Opera if I could actually see the singers singing.

At least video enthusiasts have seen the benefits of uncompressed or lossless audio tracks and are craving for more. Can we expect the "mass market" to eventually hear and appreciate the benefits of high resolution audio when they may (or may not?) be able to hear the difference on their favorite videos ?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Topic - Will Blu-Ray hurt or help Hi-rez audio long term ? - oscar 18:26:42 04/23/07 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.