Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Paavo Jarvi finally let me down his Rachmaninoff Symphony No. 2 is a big disappointment.

Paavo plays it too slow and he misses or under stresses some very important accents though out Rachmaninoff’s Symphony No. 2. Plus Michael Bishop let me down as well as the sound texture is too thick, the high frequencies are muffled and the string tone is almost digital sounding. Doesn’t sound anything like a Telarc recording at all! I looked to see if it was recorded at a different location and it is not, it is recorded in Music Hall in Cincinnati. So what gives? This is by far the worst recording of Rachmaninoff’s Second Symphony I have ever heard!

I am sad and disappointed and hope this was just an off day for both Paavo and Michael!

On the other hand the fillers: the Scherzo and two dances from “Aleko” sound excellent, extremely clear and no trace of a digital signature and Paavo plays the hell out of these. They are fun and exciting, this is the Paavo I know and love. I am keeping this SACD for the 15 minutes of rare filler after the symphony and as a monument that even gods can let you down.

"Music is love"
Teresa

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Paavo Jarvi finally let me down his Rachmaninoff Symphony No. 2 is a big disappointment. - Teresa 22:29:34 04/21/07 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.