Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Dacs alone mean very little.....its mostly in the implementation

I am sure that a 2910 with a few simple mods would kill a 3910. The 3910 sounds better stock but there are many, many more things different besides the DAC chip....power supplies, parts, etc. This is oversimplification. In fact, it would be hard to even A/B the
DAC chips fairly as one is a current out DAC chip and the other a voltage out DAC. You could technically run the output of the voltage out DAC (1791) directly from its positive pin output through one super coupling cap to the output jacks.....would sound way better than the 1796 with all its op amps used for IV conversion, summing and all the filters, etc. on the output of a stock unit. If you are not going to mod a unit then most always the more expensive unit will sound better because of more power supplies, better parts, beefier transport, parallel DACs, monoed DACs, etc.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Dacs alone mean very little.....its mostly in the implementation - Ric Schultz 23:01:48 04/19/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.