Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

No, it doesn't

VRDS stands for something. (I forget what, exactly. Maybe "Vibration Rigid Damping System".) Basically it means that there is a clamping disc that covers the entire top surface of the disc. Teac has made many variations on this theme over the years. The "Neo" part refers to the latest generation that will play DVDs and SACDs, and not just CDs (unlike the earlier VRDS mechanisms used in the Wadias, for example).

The DV-60 does not have any variation of the VRDS system. Instead there are just one or two things that distinguish it from a run-of-the-mill transport:

a) It has a metal loading tray. Since the tray does not touch the disc during play, this probably has next to zero effect on sonic performance.

b) It *may* have some sort of improvement to the suspension of the laser. Normally the laser is suspended on some thin lead-out wires that are connected to "voice-coil" actuators. These actuators control the motion of the laser in both an up-and-down direction (to maintain the proper focal distance) as well as an in-and-out motion (to follow the imperfectly concentric spiral of data pits on the disc). It's hard to be sure, as it's only been written in "marketing speak" (translated from Japanese, no less!), but apparently Teac is claiming that this laser is held more rigidly in one axis so that it maintains its perpendicularity to the disc better than a normal suspension. However, I am not 100% clear if they are actually claiming this or not, nor whether it makes any substantive performance improvement or not.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • No, it doesn't - Charles Hansen 19:23:14 04/18/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.