Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

my sa 11 REVIEW

I have a second Marantz SA11. First one was returned to American Home Theater as I thought the SACD drive noise was very high. Second unit came from authorized Marantz Reference Dealer who was aware of my complaint of high transport noise in SACD mode He played unit for three days. Reported that Sacd drive was not noisey, sounded same as his Sa11 demo
My second unit still is bit noisy in SACD mode. At the beginning of the disc on quiet passages you can hear the drive. As you progress through the disk the noise becomes very faint , you can hear it only when the volume is turned down so there is no music being heard through the speakers. Now sound quality: on redbook CD ,great cd's sound unbelievable .( My old Maantz 63 se was relegated to storage in the basement) everything was so much better , I thought I had an entirely new system. Everything is better. highs lows soundstage imaging. Now for best part, even with the transport issue on SACD my system reach a whole new level. Just amazing sound. As good as Red book playback on Hybrid disc was great,SACD playback on the same disk
was knock your socks off outstanding. This is one amazing unit.
I bought many of my favorite Mercury Living presence RCA living stereo titles on hybrid SACD/CD. I have bought 10 of these titles. If sacd does go south and I doubt it. I have the disks. On redbook the /Sa11 blows away the Rega Apollo I had on demo away. It blew away the Rotel . I had on demo. It retired my 63 SE. I honesety could not
listen to the 63 any more, It sounds lifeless. The Rega & Rotel did not sound much better than the 63.

My equipment cabinet my amplify the drive noise, I may try to soften the noise. On CD mode you do not even know the drive is turning. I'm told SACD spin 2x faster than cds. I'm beginning to think all SA 11 will sound the same re drive noise. I've had 2 , and one was compared to dealer demo.Both sounded same. Playback on SACD is a such a high level , simply astounding that I'll live with the noise.

my system SA 11, ACURUS A250. Yamaha cx2. Yamaha px-3 with grace f9e

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Topic - my sa 11 REVIEW - jygesq 08:09:18 04/11/07 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.