Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Russell: a question

Reiner's recording of DLVDE (on an old RCA Victrola LP) was the one I cut my teeth on, and so it has sentimental value to me. (I had to write a short analysis of the work in college, so I used this one and got to know it very well.) It's been a little while since I last heard it, though, so it will be interesting to see how it holds up against the current competition. I think that its OOP status is due to the fact that not many Mahlerians rank it high on their list of favorite DLVDE recordings, nor does it have any kind of 'classic' status in the way that the Klemperer/EMI, Walter (all of them), Bernstein/VP, and others do. That said, I do remember thinking that Forrester was wonderful in this recording, but that Lewis was stylisically at odds with the music, sounding more like he's doing a Handel oratorio. Reiner's usual no-nonsense way with the score does cast a different light on it (admittedly unidiomatic and perhaps a bit more austere than most). Nevertheless, I'm really looking forward to re-hearing this performance in improved sonics!

Russell

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Russell: a question - Russell 11:54:17 04/10/07 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.