Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Conifer Records' EDR Redbook CDs

Back in 1997, Conifer Records of London, England released an Extended Dynamic Range recording of Daniele Gatti and the Orchestra dell' Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia performing Respighi's "Feste Romane", "Fontani di Roma" and "Pini di Roma".

The enclosed booklet says:
"This is an EDR (Extended Dynamic Range) recording. This disc was made with the latest 20 bit technology to capture the full dynamic range of the performance. No compression was used, and the result is as faithful a reproduction as possible of the natural range of the orchestra. This gives the listener the opportunity to experience the huge breadth and dynamic variety of the recording."

The dynamic range between the pianissimo and sforzando passages, the ultrawide soundstage and the definition and detail of instruments are remarkable on this recording. I don't know what the actual dynamic range is on this RBCD, but, as you mentioned, you really have to ride the volume control to listen at a reasonable level on most systems.

Barney

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Conifer Records' EDR Redbook CDs - BarneyT 16:57:15 07/14/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.