Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Not my experience

Compare recent classical remasterings (particularly the ones reissued by Universal as "complete sets") with their 80s counterparts.

the more recent remasters not only sound hotter, but when you rip them onto a computer and compare the waveforms with the original releases, you can clearly see the peaks chopped off on the remasters.

Of course, there are still very good new classical releases that appear to be only minimally compressed, but distressingly the loudness war has made it's presence here as well as for pop and jazz.

Of course, subtle and moderate use of compression actually can create an impression of a better sounding recording. That could explain why modern recordings tend to sound better.

For my own recordings, I tend to compress around 6dB prior to burning onto CD. This seems to benefit most systems (very few systems are truly able to reproduce the full dynamic range of an uncompressed recording without distortion).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.