Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: "All I see are lots of test that prove the opposite"

My two cents. To say power cords do not change the sound of the equipment that it is connected to is crap, anyone can hear it.

Having said that, in my experience power cords are a crap shoot, you never know how they are going to work on a given piece of gear and I would say the audiophile press has never given a clear outstanding of why this is so. Though they now are backing away in reviewing them and I think is is due to a lot of issues.

I think just like speaker cables you are dealing with a lot of variables, impendence, how the power supply reacts to the cord etc. Even the manufactures stay away from proving why there cords are better then the next guy’s cords.

I have just received a few new power cords and none of them sound the same and anyone in my house could hear the difference in 30 seconds.

One is warmer, one is fast and brighter sounding and one is right in between with a slight roll of at the top, one sounds great on my cd player and so-so on the amp but good on the pre-amp.

So anyone who said they cannot make a huge difference is not of this world, the problem is its a crap shoot, no reviewer can tell you how it's sounds, you can only say how it sounds in your system, the next guy may have a totally different experience.

I do think sound of the power cords are crazy priced. No cord should ever cost more then a piece of equipment, I have looked inside many and it’s just wire! Do I think its snake oil and BS? Yes some of the time.

But I think the cable designers all know, no matter what power cord you hook up it is going to sound different then the stock cord or any current cord you are using, so they are in a no lose situation. So yes the sound does change and that is a fact Jack!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: "All I see are lots of test that prove the opposite" - PhillyB 07:16:12 06/08/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.