Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

A small comment.

I became interested in MCH sound when the first time delay units came out and I bought an Advent 5000. Over the past more than 20 years I've played around with lots of speaker placements and continued this with my SACD 5-ch system. Maybe the results depend on what kind of music you listen to, but I've found that rear placement can be pretty flexible for classical music provided you get the levels right and adjust for the speaker distance. I never hear the rear speakers themselves as a source of the music. In fact, I am not even particularly aware that there are any rear speakers, just that if you turn them off, the sound gets very different. It loses that wonderful sense of having had the walls of the room disappear, of being in a much more realistic concert hall. Right now I have my rear speakers at around 145 degrees, and I think they work as well there as at lower angles. Maybe I'm not critical enough. I adjust the level so that I can just hear them with the fronts playing, then back off a bit to be sure I can't hear them directly, and then maybe do a little final tweaking for ultimate realistic effect. I'm probably violating all the "rules."

Joe

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • A small comment. - jsm 12:56:40 05/17/07 (1)
    • Exactly - Robert C. Lang 18:23:34 05/17/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.