Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

With that in mind.....

"As far as the hardware goes, the general consensus is that machines that convert to PCM don't make a really good SACD sound as good as a machine that doesn't convert to PCM."

That is the consensus but I am not sure how much of it is based on comparative listening and how much is based on preconceptions. I know I have not listened to some of the high-dollar machines that convert DSD into PCM on my system, where I can make an objective evaluation.

There is little doubt, IMO, that SACD sound is far superior to 44/16 RBCD's, But high res is high res. On a theoritical basis, if the conversion from SACD to PCM occurs at a much higher resolution, say 192 Hz, should we still expect a reduction in sound quality? If so, why? Do the additional electronics required for the conversion automatically create a performance penalty or could the sound be enhanced in some way by the conversion?

I hope your rehabilitation is going well. I was in a pretty severe bike accident in 2004 (although not as severe as yours). I was in the hospital for nine days and it took me six months to completely recover. I will be setting off the alarms at airports with all the metal in my hip for years to come. But I am back riding. I hope your recovery goes as smoothly as mine.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.