Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Well, for starters, Geoff,

I'd have to list most of the Classic Records CDs that Bernie Grundman did -- especially the Bluebacks and a few of the RCAs; then I'd follow that up with SEVERAL (not all by any stretch of the imagination) of the RCA Living Stereo and Mercury Living Presence reissues.

To be fair, the CD player I use would cost at least double the cost of my stock SA-14 (when it was new) if it were one that could be bought by anyone. In truth, it's one of only 3 like it that were built just about from scratch by an audio enthusiast friend just to see if he could do it. The results are -- as he would describe the sound -- about as clear and analog like that's possible at any price. If I didn't have this player, I might be whistling a different tune; but I do, so I won't ;-)

Like Jim Treanor, I too confess to a preference for the sound of analog tapes converted to digital, so there's an enourmous amount of product out there that appeared at the beginning of the digital age that actually does sound superior to anything made today. Even in this very same forum there's a thread running concurrently regarding the Joe Jackson album. All of this is, I'm afraid, a result of careless/clueless manufacturing.

Add to that the preponerance of opinions expressed by many at the Hoffman site, and one begins to understand why there are skeptics like me here and there. BTW, I absolutely love the sound of the Fischer Mahler 2nd, but I wouldn't necessarily say that it sounds like real music. It is spectacular though.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.