Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Marantz SA-14: Am I in trouble?

Greetings, fellow inmates.

Although I love the sound of my Marantz SA-14 V2, all the recent postings here about Marantz transport woes have left me feeling a bit jittery (no pun intended). And sure enough, a couple of weeks ago my player refused to cue up an SACD (the "No Disc" message was displayed). An earlier posting on this board suggested unplugging the player from the wall and then powering back up; this seemed to work. Also, I used to keep the Marantz powered up all the time; but now I shut it down after every listening session. As a result, I've never had another situation where the player refused to play a disc. However, the player can take a really long time to cue up (the player makes all sorts of ominous whirring and clicking noises during the cueing process).

Before acquiring the V2, I had two copies of the original SA-14: the first had to be replaced outright because of transport problems, and the second had to undergo repairs for a minor transport problem. Although I love the sound of the SA-14, I'm guessing that there's a major breakdown in my future. And what then? The SA-14 is out of production; the SA-7 is attractive, but a bit too rich for my blood. The NAD player looks like a decent, lower-cost alternative.

Marantz makes handsome, good-sounding players. Too bad that the transport mechanism is proving to be an Achilles' heel.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Marantz SA-14: Am I in trouble? - Doktor Brahms 09:28:49 04/04/07 (4)

You can not post to an archived thread.