Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

A word of warning on SACD use.

I am sure this topic came up before, but I believe it won't hurt to post it once again. This comes from my painful experience.

SACDs are EXTREMELY vulnerable to surface damage! Fingerprints, dust, barely visible scratches may make a disk unplayable. Sometimes a defect will show as SACD layers failing to play, other times it is frustrating stops during SACD playback. Regular CDs can stand probably 100 times more abuse! In most cases, washing a disc does not help. The surface of a SACD may look perfect, but it won't play well.

Bad SACD puts a lot of strain on players pickup mechanism. You can hear the mechanism working hard for quite a long time trying to read a bad disk. Hence sled motor and optical pickup problems.

Bottom line:

Exercise great care handling your SACDs. Put them in their hard cases immediately after playing. Don't use soft CD pouches. Make sure the case itself is not damaged. Don't play a SACD in a car. Don't give a SACD to a friend to listen. Don't allow your family members (esp. teenagers) to play SACDs unless you are sure they will treat the discs exactly the way you do. And finally, never buy used SACDs unless you can test play them.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - A word of warning on SACD use. - sser2 12:39:35 04/03/07 (17)

You can not post to an archived thread.