Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: In my experience...

I will narrow my comments to reflect my personal experiences in the San Francisco Bay Area, where many believe we march to a different drummer:

I have found in a couple of hundred concerts that the polite applause or even a hearty applause is expected at the end of a performance even if the performance is merely OK. You get a "clap for effort".

However, if the audience outwardly expresses its approval between movements (some may consider that uncouth) and then later leaps to its collective feet in a thunderous applause at the conclusion and/or demands a curtain call from the conductor and/or soloist, after which they are abuzz with compliments during intermission or on their way to the parking lot or metro at the concerts conclusion, this is easily distinguishable from the "polite" applause. In my experience this is more heartfelt and is separate and apart from the "obligatory" applause that you describe as the norm.

Do audiences sometimes follow the lead of a few in front of them or the majority? Absolutely! It happen at Mass just yesterday when the priest gave one of his better homily's and and you could "feel" that that many of the parishoners wanted to applaud but it just not "usually done". But after a jump start from a few a heartfelt applause was followed.

Robert C. Lang

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.