Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Sounds fine; performance only okay

"I think it is a common modern practice to take fast movements much too fast, almost to the point of burying details and rhythmic elements in the rush, and slow movements waaaaay too slow, to the point that the impetus and structure of the music is lost. This New World is a perfect example."

The golden age of the great symphony conductors is pretty much coming to an end, there are a few still active, but they are getting up in age. From this point on expect to see a newer, younger jet setters, most are not good enough to carry the torch and thanks to the jet age they all sound pretty the same. I have been to too many concerts with performances that can best be described as boring. Most of our orchestras have played these standard classical warehorses for generations and most can perform them in their sleep or without a conductor and produce a much better performance free of unusual tempo manipulation.
I also do not beleive that a state of art sound can in any way compensate for what is not there in the first place, but all this is my personal opinion and I have no doubt that my views represent the views of a small minority.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Sounds fine; performance only okay - vahe@flash.net 16:30:42 04/02/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.