Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Sony DVP-S9000ES

Hi blackpixels,

I never experienced the problem you seem to be having with DVDs, although I have never watched many DVDs on this unit.

I did not send my unit out for repair; I replaced the laser assembly myself. Laser assembly replacement is a fairly easy job for a DIYer, but if you're not so inclined, you will want to send it out. I would search the asylum or ask others for recommended repair shops (I know many have used Sony's authorized centers, but I didn't know what their outcomes were).

Before assuming you need to replace the laser, however, have you tried recalibrating the laser? Recalibration was able to fix some minor problems I was having - I only replaced the laser when recalibration no longer worked. Recalibration is easy - the procedure is in the service manual (I can't recall the key combination you need to use to get into the service menu, else I'd offer it here - I can provide the magic keystrokes later from home if you need the info).

I didn't noticed any change in sound quality after replacing the laser.

Best of luck,
Pete

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.