Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Sounds fine; performance only okay

The recording is beautiful and quite spectacular. The orchestra plays very well, indeed. However, Jarvi puts me to sleep during the Largo. I know the movement is supposed to be slow, but it really drags and spoils the rest of the entire performance. I mean: at the rests during the Largo, the music stops completely, not just pauses, and that should never happen. It is totally artificial and loses all its emotional effect. I think it is a common modern practice to take fast movements much too fast, almost to the point of burying details and rhythmic elements in the rush, and slow movements waaaaay too slow, to the point that the impetus and structure of the music is lost. This New World is a perfect example.

People practically peed themselves over the Fischer/Budapest recording on Philips, which I thought was merely average conducting and barely competent playing. True, the sound was an indication of DSD's potential, but not nearly as good as what we're now getting regularly from Telarc. I love the sonics of this Telarc, and the sonics and performance of the Kreizberg version on Pentatone, but my reference performance and orchestral playing on SACD remains Reiner on Living Stereo. The 50 year old recording sounds a little ragged, especially compared to the current gems, but Reiner had the spirit of this music absolutley nailed, and the Chicago played gloriously.

Peace,
Tom E

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.