Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Carlos Kleiber, Beethoven #7, more

I thought your question was deserving of a more thorough answer, so I have just listened to the 1st movement of the 7th in both the Orfeo Stereo SACD and the DG (Vienna) CD versions. The Orfeo recording has the advantage of the Bavarian State Opera Orchestra in live performance. The recording engineers have gone in closer than the DG engineers, probably because of the audience. That audience is not entirely silent - the usual bronchial interruptions can be clearly heard. The wind section is more closely mic'ed so if that bothers you, then the Orfeo is going to be worse from your point-of-view. However, the playing of the Bavarian winds is marvellously fresh and moulded. There is nothing wrong with the VPO winds (!), but they sound less involved. I don't think Kleiber divides the violins on the Bavarian recording whereas he does clearly on the Vienna disc and this helps to emphasize the conversational aspects of Beethoven's music. The recordings are interesting. I know that they are two different formats but on my SCD777 VSE L5+ the SACD, for all the noises off and close mics, sounds much better than the studio recording. The SACD is AAD so the only digital intrusion is at the mastering. The CD has digital mixing too, being ADD. I think I would therefore conclude that you should seriously consider the Orfeo anyway. It isn't the same and on balance has a vivacity unmatched by the VPO, for all that famous recording's benefits in terms of silent backgrounds and more distant recording. I suggest you buy the SACD.

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.