Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Yamaha DVD-S1700 Universal $450.00

SACD playback is almost as good as my old $1,600 retail Xindak SCD-2. The SCD-2 has a little more detail in the high end but I think the Yamaha is warmer in the bass and midrange and the high end is very smooth, almost tube like.

CD playback is totally unlike the previous 9 players I have owned that played CD including an expensive transport and D/A converter. On the Yamaha CDs sound nothing whatsoever like CDs, they sound more like SACDs with less resolution. Some of the Telarc CDs have that "magic" in the midrange that the better SACDs have. It is totally spooky and eerie, I never would have believed redbook CD could sound decent if I hadn't heard it with my own ears! Shocking! I don't know what the hell Yamaha did to make CDs sound better than they have any right to sound. I am still waiting for a review as they model came out the end of 2006 and is still so new there is no professional review yet! Is it Yamaha only are all the new 2006 models this good on CD?

Mind you it is not all CDs, poorly recorded CDs sound as bad or worse than on the previous 9 players. But well made CDs I am no longer afraid of. Also no headaches yet!

"Music is love"
Teresa

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Yamaha DVD-S1700 Universal $450.00 - Teresa 19:33:40 03/30/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.