Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Same here. Esoteric next?

My experience with the SA-11S1 is progressively becoming a nightmare similar to yours: the unit, two years old, is increasingly skipping, having fallouts during play, refusing to play hybrids (that feared "Can't Play" at loading after a failed TOC reading effort). So far I haven't had problems with single-layer SACDs. At times, rebooting the machine with a disc in it helps, though most often not even that. Going back to the shop, then (the first round of repairs provided relief for a couple weeks only), with warranty already void. Terribly frustrating.

I've had the same experience with pretty much all of my past players, whether SACD or redbook, every time after a few years of relatively heavy spinning duty. I was hoping that after all those midline Sonys, Marantzes, and Denons, a top-of-the-line (SA-11S1 was this for Marantz at the time of its introduction) major hi-end manufacturer model justly priding itself for its exceptional playback capabilities would make a difference, but forget about it.

Are there any makes out there that are consistently immune to these problems? I would guess that Esoteric might be one, but who knows. I understand even the new EMM Labs one-box player shows some symptoms (recurrent read problems during a high-profile magazine review), so where's our hope? dCS P8i? (I've read about comparable problems with Audio Aero Prestige, Cary, the dCS stack, and assume the same for the older EMM Labs combo & Krell units, too, given their decision to upgrade (?) the tray mechanism soon afterwards.) Too early for anyone to tell about the new Marantz SA-7S1, which seems to address the read problems with its new loading mech/tray designed & manufactured in-house, as I understand it. Or is this a problem simply built in to the very complicated and sensitive medium?

TL

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.