Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Bley/Bartok/Stravinsky

I wasn't sure whether I cared much for this Praga Bartok issue - the sound is pretty good, but performancewise it's quite generic and lifeless if you've ever heard the better alternatives (like the Argerich/Kovacevich and the Richter/Lobanov, in reverse order).

Whereas the Paul Bley issue you mention is simply stunning, on both accounts, which makes it a lasting treasure.

It's understandably hard to find percussion works that you'd really want to return to once the first sonic fascination effect has worn out. For me, the Bley above is one exception, as is probably the Pentatone "East Meets West," and the very good Harmonia Munde DSD recording of "Les Noces" by Daniel Reuss & Musikfabrik (that should surely qualify: nothing but pianos & percussion in the orchestra). All in great SACD sound, and the Bley a standout in any context - a true showcase for Japanese audio perfectionism.

You might also want to add the Salonen/LAPO "Rite," which blew out my Sunfire sub (this I consider a sonic feat).

TL

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.