Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Marantz SA-11S1 off for service

I am thoroughly disgusted by pausing, skipping, and unplayable SACD's (and, lately, even some RBCD's) so I am sending my two-year-old player in for service. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

This is extremely disappointing because this was such an expensive player and still it is not reliable. I do not understand why someone cannot manufacture and incorporate a laser mechanism that doesn't crap out after two years (or less). Instead of spending lots of money to include a bunch of filters that no one understands or uses, why couldn't Marantz spend another twenty bucks and get a decent laser mechanism? I had a CAL Icon MkII that constantly played CD's for 12 years (and probably still is--I sold it) without a single hiccup. I know that's a different technology, but don't you believe that, along with advances in encoding and electronics, someone would be capable of manufacturing an SACD drive/read mechanism that is similarly advanced and also dependable?

Actually, I do undertand why: features sell players, not reliability. Just look at the corporate status of Marantz versus California Audio Labs for a pretty clear lesson. Unlike automobiles and other big ticket consumer goods, there is no evaluation system for or archive concerning the reliability of expensive audio components, other than forums of this nature. There's a business model there, somewhere.

I never thought I'd be writing this, but I'll be using my equally quirky Sony DVP-S9000ES for back-up while the better sounding Marantz is out of the rig. I believe the Marantz is worth fixing, and it should be covered under warranty.

Peace,
Tom E

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Marantz SA-11S1 off for service - madisonears 08:48:56 03/28/07 (8)

You can not post to an archived thread.